Sunday, July 22, 2007

Jazz in July: A Much-Needed Study Break

We heard about a "hidden secret" jazz festival on the radio and it just so happened to be in Salem, Virginia - about 15 minutes down the road from us.
This turned out to be the perfect study break I (Dorina) could look forward to. I've been working on my final grad school paper due on Monday afternoon. I definitely needed a carrot.
We invited some friends to join us for a picnic dinner and some live music. We grabbed a front row picnic table right near the playground and had the best of all worlds.
I felt like I was home in Chicago with this fabulous, straight ahead live jazz music at an outdoor festival. The band's singer, Rose, even did a few Norah Jones tunes.
We celebrated our friend Heidi's birthday with a homemade cake by Ricky (in the hat). Heidi hung out until the end with the Gilmores. Meilani danced to the sounds of the sax, organ and drums.

1 comment:

The VM Family said...

Hi Dorina,

Good food and music, AGAIN? You sure you want to come back to California?

Love, Jen