Wednesday, July 07, 2010

30-Day Trek: One Thing Needed

Today marks the last day of our week focusing on finding joy in "enough." Sally Jacober writes a story for today's Trek about a woman named Dona Josefa who always welcomed people to visit her - anytime and without making plans ahead of time. "She was pleased to lay aside her tasks and focus on what was most important to her - people."

This story made an impact on us personally because we know it is easy to get caught up in our to-do lists and task-oriented ways while neglecting the relationships around us. I can think of times when my frantic dinner preparations or last-minute cleaning distracted me from truly welcoming guests into my home. I'm reminded of the story of Mary and Martha in the Bible. How I long to be a Mary, who sat at Jesus' feet and listened intently, but I'm frequently a Martha, running here and there setting the table, tending to my kids, serving the dinner and dessert and so on.

My goal is to start each day with a simple prayer: Dear God, Show me how to focus on relationships today, not just tasks. Give me eyes to see the person I need to encourage and love. Amen.

What is the finest gift you can offer a visitor who comes into your life?

2 comments:

heather said...

I'm going to make that my prayer too! I've really enjoyed reading your posts this week. Very thought provoking. I even shared the fishing story with Matt. I don't want to forget that one. Thanks for taking the time to write, Dorina. I am inspired! :)

Rachel said...

The greatest thing I think I have to give another person is my undivided attention, and authetically sharing of my own self. Great thoughts, thank you Dorina!