Sunday, December 06, 2009

Girls Night Out: A New Christmas Tradition

This Christmas Ericlee and I have been brainstorming ways to make our giving more intentional. For our kids, we are starting a "Three Gifts" tradition. Just as the three kings or Magi brought three gifts to Jesus, we plan to share three gifts with our girls. Looking around our office/playroom and digging in our closets, it's clear these girls don't really *need* any more toys or clothes.


Meilani, our 3-year-old, is a quality time girl. She feels special and loved when we intentionally spend time with her. This fall I have been offering childcare for two additional children besides my own. This means Meilani shares my attention and helps out a lot. I decided we needed our first "Christmas Girls Night Out." My friend Allison scored us $10 tickets to the Nutcracker Suite Ballet in downtown Fresno. We dressed in our best "ballerina" fancy outfits and headed out for a night on the town. Meilani just loved all the music and sets. She sat on my lap and together we noticed the nuances of the costumes and the sounds of different instruments. She's been dancing the whole month long like the Sugar Plum Fairies.

We saw our friend Mia at the ballet. After the show, the girls twirled and twirled in their matching fancy dresses. This was Meilani's first special gift celebrating time together with mama instead of more "stuff."

1 comment:

VM Family said...

I loved this idea so much, we looked into it. The only Nutcracker we could find was being performed at our Gallo Center-- a whopping $50 a ticket!